Lara Croft: Tomb Raider"
Hot Croft Buns
Each week, Dinner & a Movie on TBS serves up a very funny film and a movie-themed recipe. Check out Hot Croft Buns, created for the film Lara Croft: Tomb Raider.
You will need:
For the buns:
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 stick butter
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon each ground nutmeg and ground cloves
- grated zest of 1 lemon
- 1/4 cup warm water
- 2 tablespoons (packages) dry active yeast
- 1 whole egg plus 2 egg yolks
- 5 2/3 cups all-purpose unbleached flour, plus more as needed
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 5 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 cup dried sour cherries
- 1/2 cup shelled and chopped pistachios
- 1 egg yolk mixed with 1 tablespoon milk, for glazing
For the icing:
- 1 cup confectioners sugar
- 1 to 2 teaspoons milk, heated
- Combine milk, butter, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, and lemon zest in a small saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a simmer and transfer the mixture to a large bowl. When cool, whisk the egg and egg yolks into the mixture.
In a small bowl, combine the warm water with a pinch of sugar. Sprinkle the yeast over the water and set aside 15 minutes until it begins to froth.
- In a separate large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, and the salt. Add the milk-egg mixture and the proofed yeast and mix until a cohesive dough forms. Next mix in the dry cherries and pistachios. Dump the mixture onto a clean, lightly floured surface and knead 10 until smooth and elastic. Dust with flour as needed to keep the dough from sticking.
- Transfer dough to a lightly greased bowl, cover with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place until doubled in bulk, 1 ½ to 2 hours. Cut the dough into quarters and then divide each quarter into 4 equal pieces. Roll each piece into a ball and place in a greased 9-by-13-inch pan. Cover loosely with a clean towel and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Brush the buns with the egg glaze. Bake 20 to 25 minutes, until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack.
- Combine confectioners' sugar and 1 teaspoon warm milk in a bowl and stir until smooth. Add another few drops of milk as needed if necessary. Spoon frosting into a piping bag and pipe the icing diagonally across each cooled bun. Delicious!