Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby"
King Cake with Executive Pastry Chef Tariq Hanna
Taste your way to New Orleans with this classic Mardi Gras dessert in a special interpretation from Executive Pastry Chef Tariq Hanna of Sucre.
Visit www.shopsucre.com for more information on the restaurant.
For more information on the location, Blaine Kern’s Mardi Gras World, visit www.mardigrasworld.com.
Music provided by the Rebirth Brass Band. For more information on the band, visit www.rebirthbrassband.com.
- 1 pound and 10 ounces Bread Flour
- 1 teaspoon Instant Yeast
- ¼ cup Sugar
- 2 teaspoons Salt
- ½ cup Milk (room temperature)
- 6 Eggs
- ½ pound Butter (cut in small pieces at room temperature)
- 1 pound cream cheese
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 Egg
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Zest of 1 orange
- Mix all ingredients for 6-8 minutes at medium speed.
1. ½ pound Butter (room temperature)
2. Place 1/3 of the flour, yeast, salt and sugar in a mixing bowl.
3. Add milk, and mix at low speed for 3 minutes (till smooth).
4. Add pieces of the butter gradually, and mix until incorporated.
5. Add 1/3 flour, and mix till smooth.
6. Add Eggs gradually, and mix till smooth.
7. Add remaining flour, and mix 4 minutes on medium speed.
8. Transfer dough onto sheet pan, and flatten. Let rest for an hour.
9. Roll out on floured surface in to even rectangle of ¼" thickness.
10. Spread half a pound of butter over 2/3 the dough surface.
11. Fold over 1/3 of the unbuttered dough and 1/3 of the buttered side over that fold.
12. You have just made your first 3 fold, or what we refer to as "your Lock-in".
13. At this point refrigerate the folded dough for an hour.
14. Roll out dough to same size as first time, and repeat folding motion.
15. Refrigerate for an hour, and then repeat this step for a total of three times.
16. You now have a fully Laminated Brioche.
1. Divide your dough into 2 pieces. Roll out into an even rectangle of a 1/8".
2. Divide the dough lengthwise in two. Spread half the cream cheese filling over the dough, and sprinkle filling with cinnamon. Roll each half into 1/3 lengthwise, and twist together to make a braid. Form a ring and pinch the ends together.
3. Let stand in a warm place till doubled in size.
4. Bake in preheated oven @400F for 10 minutes, then reduce heat to 350F for an additional 25 minutes, or until the bottom of your cake is golden brown.
1. 3 cups Powdered Sugar
2. ½ cup Milk
3. Mix until well blended.
4. Cover cooled cake with the glaze, and decorate with glitter or sprinkles, if desired.