Lara Croft: Tomb Raider"
One Hot Hero
This delicious dish is more than your normal sandwich. Made with peppers, eggplant and heaps of turkey and cheese, it's a portable meal!
The Olive-Pepper Dressing:
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 red onion
- 1-cup roughly chopped assorted olives (Spanish, oil cured black, etc)
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 4 tablespoon chopped flat leaf parsley
- 2 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1/2-cup extra virgin olive oil,
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2-teaspoon dried oregano
- Sea salt, to taste
The Hot Hero:
- 3-4 unpeeled Japanese or Thai eggplant, thinly sliced lengthwise
- 1 pound thinly sliced raw turkey breast
- 4 ounces thinly sliced provolone
- 4 ounces thinly sliced mozzarella
- 2 loaves French or Italian bread split lengthwise with a hinge cut
- Olive oil, as needed
- Salt and fresh ground black pepper, to taste
1. Prep peppers. Cut the top and bottom from bell pepper, pull out the core and cut open to create one large strip.
2. Place pepper skin-side-up on a foil lined cookie sheet and broil 2-3 inches from the flame until blackened and blistered, about 5 minutes. Place the pepper strips in a paper bag until cool enough to handle, and then scrape off the skin under running water. Dice and scrape into a large mixing bowl.
3. Peel the onion and cut into thick slices, brush with olive oil and broil until brown around the edges. Chop roughly and add to the peppers. Add remaining dressing ingredients to the pepper and onion and set aside.
4. Preheat oven to 400F. Heat a cast iron or nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Brush eggplant and turkey slices with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Sear eggplant for 2-3 minutes per side. Sear the turkey slices for about 1 minute on each side.
5. Pile the French loaf with layers of cheeses, warm eggplant and turkey. Heat in a 400F oven for five minutes, remove from oven and smother with olive-pepper dressing. Enjoy!